http://wa.lilypie.com/PqnDm5.png

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Happy May!

Well, I am sitting here checking the adoption forum (AGAIN!) to see if there have been any referrals today. Unfortunately, no:( There are many assumptions being made at this point. It appears that any referrals made after June 1 will not go through court in Ethiopia until after the courts close over the summer, not to open again until around September. Some assume that there will be a large number of referrals in May which will include everyone who has been waiting through the end of August 2007 - which would include us! We certainly hope those people are correct!! Others wonder if there will be as few referrals as there were in April (which was very few).

Okay, on another topic...I have been reading the book "There is No Me Without You." What an amazing book. There is so much that I did not know about the AIDS epidemic, for example, Ethiopia did not have ANY medicine to treat AIDS until 2005! In that same year, 11% of all children in Ethiopia were orphans. I also learned that they are now thinking that the biggest reason for the spread of AIDS in Africa is not due to promiscuous sex but due to the fact that when large vaccinations are set up in Africa, typically they do not go with enough syringes. The syringes are reused after a cursory sterilization - not enough to prevent the spread of AIDS. It is a book that is both very informative and an extremely entertaining story about a woman who takes in dozens of orphans! Definately one I would recommend.

On a personal note, isn't it amazing how we have no idea from one moment to the next what God has in store for us!! Ten years ago, I would have imagined that I would be a partner in a law firm right now, living comfortably with my children in full time school. Here I am, unemployed, homeschooling our four children, adopting a child from another country, and with a heart that is breaking for things that are happening in another part of the world! I love life - it is certainly never boring!!!

No comments: