http://wa.lilypie.com/PqnDm5.png

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sad Day

When we went for our walk this morning, the boys and I discovered that our poor turtles that we were collecting for the turtle races, had been attacked last night. Apparently the frozen minnows that we put in their enclosure, once thawed, attracted some kind of turtle predator and out of 15 turtles, only 4 remain alive. We assume that it was a raccoon or, we have been told, maybe a mink. I feel very bad that we trapped the poor little guys in the enclosure but apparently did not protect them from other creatures. I also feel very bad that we now have until one week from Wednesday to find 46 turtles!!! And, since turtles like to come out and bathe in the sun, it would sure be a lot easier if the sun would actually come out! I guess a good thing is that we learned a lesson - before we had 50 turtles to lose. We now have a completely enclosed turtle cage that is raccoon and mink proof! Let the hunt begin!! (Um, again!)

No comments: